The ICR (Institute of Cancer Research) is the leading academic research centre in the UK. Effective industry collaboration and innovation in new medicines and technologies are at the heart of our approach to drive benefits for patients.
The ICR is ranked:
- second for research quality, impact and environment*
- first for biological sciences*
- third for research impact*
- first worldwide for the number of our publications cited in patents**
- fourth worldwide for the citation rate of scientific research published across all fields**
- fourth worldwide for top-cited research publications**
- in the top five higher education institutions worldwide for academic influence and commercial impact**
The majority of our employees work in research, but there are also important roles in scientific facilities, academic services, IT, fundraising, communication, human resources, and within our business and innovation office, which negotiates between ICR scientists and industry.