Location: Able to commute into Manchester or London office as necessary but remote working also supported
Full-time or part-time (if full-time, flexible hours and working options available. Please include in your application if you are interested in part-time hours)
Expected Start Date: ASAP
Spektrix is a growing collection of creative problem solvers focused around the arts and technology whose mission is to help arts organizations be more successful. We’re doing this through a combination of cloud-based software and consultative customer support that empowers arts organizations to grow revenue, increase efficiency, and build stronger relationships with audiences. We are always looking for new ways to approach problems, share knowledge, and better serve our customers. You’d be joining a team of over 120, based across our New York, London and Manchester offices and working with over 500 arts organizations in North America and the UK.
We are looking for a Software Engineer to join our engineering department starting in our cross-functional reactive team. The team owns the core of the Spektrix system including developing targeted features and bug fixes as well as handling any issues that may arise affecting clients. This would be a fantastic opportunity for anyone looking to get hands-on experience of running a large software system at scale. The team is also responsible for improving the system to allow us to continue to grow sustainably.
The ideal candidate will be practiced in agile delivery and test driven development and be excited by the challenge of delivering high quality software in a dynamic environment where priorities can change regularly.
Skills & Experience:
- At least one year of software industry experience
- Solid foundation in the technologies that back web applications
- Databases (Including concepts like indexes and transactions scopes)
- Object oriented programming
- Comfortable with the following working practices
- Pair programming
- Agile software delivery practices including Lean and Kanban
- Test Driven Development
- Continuous Integration
- Able to communicate fluently around code, familiar with principles such as SOLID
- Keen to learn new technologies and skills
- Receptive to feedback and be able to give constructive feedback
Experience of our existing tech stack is a bonus but if you are not familiar with these then we still want to hear from you. You’ll just need to be happy to learn them
- Azure Cloud (DevOps, Compute, Storage, SQL PaaS etc)
- Flexible working. If it works for you and it works for your team then it works. Different teams may have different practices that require people in the office or online at specific times.
- NHS top up scheme (covering dental, optical, therapy & counselling, prescription and other health related costs)
- Mental Health First Aiders across the business
- Continuous development supported by Line manager, learning budget and 10% time
- Enhanced Maternity, Adoption & Shared Parental Leave
- 25 days paid holiday with flexibility to take bank holidays wherever you choose
- 2 volunteering days per year
- Pension scheme with matched contributions from Spektrix up to 4%
- Office demo, drinks and celebrations every Friday (currently virtual)
- Varied range of regular socials (currently virtual)
- Cycle to work & Season Ticket Loans
Working from home
We aim to be as flexible as possible when it comes to working setups and lots of our team work from home on a regular basis. This means we generally work with a “remote first” approach even when we are in the office. Whether you end up working in the office or from home more you will need a good setup for working from home.
We’ll provide reasonable support and all the hardware you need to get started, but we do require that you have the following already in place:
- A quiet working space at home where you can consistently take video calls without interruptions
- An internet connection that supports your participation in video calls and access to our systems and services
Spektrix is an equal opportunities employer, we recruit regardless of race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age or disability status and look to employ from a wide range of backgrounds and experiences.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. Studies show that women do not apply for roles unless they meet 100% of the requirements, whereas men apply when they meet at least 60% of the requirements. At Spektrix, we know that there’s no such thing as a ‘perfect’ candidate. Spektrix is committed to creating an inclusive work environment, where our team members are supported in expressing themselves and delivering their best work. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day.
Diversity in the workplace is hugely important to our working environment and to enable both individuals and Spektrix to thrive. By valuing each person’s differences we enable each person to contribute their unique experiences, strengths and viewpoints. Workplace diversity is something we aim to achieve and maintain at Spektrix, and we are pursuing a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve and work in. We aim to reflect this diversity in all departments and at all levels of seniority in the business, right up to the board.
*In an effort to help us reduce bias, please do not include a photo in your CV or application.
Apply via the button below. You can also call Jason Burgess in the Inclusive Recruiting team on 0203 397 8333 to speak further about this role or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Salary Offer £40,000 - £50,000 pa (open to candidates near this range too)