Salary: up to £45,000 per annum
Location: UK Arup office – 8 Fitzroy Street, London, W1T 4BJ (open to flexible working)
We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
As a Senior Press Officer you will be an important part of the press office team that is made up of 1x Press Officer, 2x Senior Press Officers and 1x PR Manager who report into the Head of PR and Campaigns. We also work with a retained PR agency.
You will play a key role in delivering proactive media coverage, managing day-to-day journalist enquiries and working collaboratively to execute PR-led campaigns. The role will require you to work on a wide variety of subject matter, from 3D printed buildings to the impact of climate change on the water cycle. You will work closely with marketing colleagues to identify stories to engage journalists across a wide variety of media titles – from sector specific trade titles, such as Infrastructure Intelligence and Business Green to national press such as the Guardian. You will work with press office colleagues on issues impacting, or with the potential to impact, the firm’s reputation.
- Drive proactive media outreach to build, maintain and protect reputation through coverage of major projects and thought leadership to support strategic must win activity.
- Write and develop impactful content for press releases, media pitches, opinion pieces, quotes etc.
- Advise experts across the firm on media relations via written and verbal media briefings, managing interview requests, attending interviews and reviewing content.
- Daily monitoring of coverage on a range of topics, flagging issues to colleagues in press office.
- Regular liaison with wider marketing and communications network to identify potential news stories.
- Act as point of contact for discussions with client and partner press offices.
- Reviewing content such as technical reports and advising on media strategy to deliver impactful coverage.
Essential skills and knowledge:
- Proven experience operating within a busy, thriving press office.
- Ability to stay calm under pressure.
- Ability to build relations with a broad range of stakeholders – from senior subject experts to engineers or marketers.
- Excellent writing skills – able to write compelling copy for a range of audiences and channels including press releases, opinion pieces and quick fire commentary.
- Ability to proactively identify and act on hooks – know what journalists want from a story and how we can provide unique insights.
- Enjoy gaining proactive media coverage – picking up the phone and speaking to journalists regularly.
- Excellent time management and ability to prioritise between competing demands.
Desirable skills and knowledge:
- Understanding of the infrastructure/engineering/energy/transport sectors and experience working with related client and partner press offices.
- Good contacts with relevant correspondents in trade/national press.
- Knowledge of measurement and evaluation techniques to demonstrate strategic value of PR.
- Experience with media monitoring tools such as Cision (Gorkana).
Please apply via the button below. To discuss the role, please also feel free to reach out directly to Priscilla Ross in the Inclusive Recruiting team on 07740 546099 or email email@example.com.
- Salary Offer up to £45,000 per annum