Role: Senior Policy Officer (Handbook)
Salary: £32,480- £48,312 per annum
Location: Hybrid / London, UK – BSB Offices, 289-293 High Holborn, WC1V 7HZ (May require attendance at off-site meetings)
Reports to: Policy Manager
At Inclusive Recruiting, we are on a mission to eradicate bias and inequities from the workplace. We Teach, Train and Transform to create a more equitable workplace. We deliver Recruitment, EDI Training and Consultancy services to challenge mindsets and behaviours for transformational change.
Unlike other organisations we don’t just stop there. We are committed to our purpose and that’s why we have a FREE inclusive Network for professionals from diverse backgrounds where they have access to support that will create opportunities.
About The Bar Standards Board (BSB)
The Bar Standards Board (BSB) regulates barristers and their professional practice and specialised legal services businesses in England and Wales in the public interest. We are responsible for setting education and training requirements, setting standards, authorising organisations, monitoring the service provided, and handling complaints.
Barristers work at the heart of our justice system so BSB’s mission is fundamentally important to the maintenance of the rule of law. It is an exciting time at the organisation as we embark on a new strategy to continue to regulate in the public interest, support those we regulate to face the future, and ensure there is a strong and sustainable regulator for the Bar.
Our Vision is:
We will ensure that the BSB regulates the Bar in the public interest by promoting high standards, diversity and access to justice.
- Fairness and Respect
- Independence and Integrity
- Excellence and Efficiency
About the role:
The post holder will join Bar Standard Board’s Policy and Research Team, who manage and develop specific policies, guidance and obligations to regulate barristers and specialised legal services businesses in England and Wales in the public interest.
Team members typically have the opportunity to be involved in several projects across the team as we work flexibly to deliver the highest impact for consumers. This post holder will focus on the delivery of Access and Standards strategic aims the BSB’s 2022 – 2023 business plan.
They will firstly help with the review of the BSB Code of Conduct Barristers are required to follow and lead in managing wider Handbook related projects by cultivating excellent knowledge of the Handbook. Secondly they will contribute to improving access to justice of clients by assisting with work in relation to projects such as pilot on use of digital comparison sites and leading the work to implement any changes resulting from our recently published evaluation of transparency rules.
We are looking for a highly motivated team player with interest in regulation, who is keen to make a difference and is excited to play a part in developing policies that deliver in the best interests of consumers.
- Lead on the policy development and design of allocated policy projects in line with the Policy Development Framework. This may involve policy and project work across the full range of Policy and Research business;
- Lead on targeted reviews of specific policy areas/sections of the BSB Handbook in light of the relevant regulatory risks;
- Liaising with other bodies (including the Legal Services Board (LSB) and other regulators) negotiating agreement for rule changes;
- Assisting in establishing evidence gathering mechanisms to inform policy development, assess potential impacts and evaluate outcomes;
- Commissioning or conducting research projects to establish a strong evidence base for policy formulation;
- Organising and managing working group/task completion group discussions, advising on strategic/operational options;
- Maintaining programme and project documentation where appropriate, ensuring work is undertaken in time and on budget;
- Managing external consultancy support where required (e.g. legal advice, research);
- Drafting key policy documents (including consultation papers, analysis of responses and preparation/presentation of Committee/Board papers with appropriate recommendations and/or applications to the LSB for approval);
- Considering the impacts of policy changes on other areas (e.g. training requirements, enforcement policy, monitoring and supervision) co-ordinating discussions with other BSB teams or external stakeholders;
- Respond to queries about the BSB Handbook;
- Provide planning and project management expertise where required in the Policy and Research Team, including allocation of tasks to other members of the team, including the Policy Officer;
- Deliver training where required on the BSB Handbook and associated policy changes, drafting guidance documents and communications plans;
- Manage equality impact assessments for policy developments and associated organisational change;
- Assist the Policy Manager as required with the progression of policy and project work in the department; and
- Carry out other duties as may be required from time to time by the Policy Manager, Head of Policy and Research or Director of Strategy and Policy.
- Organising stakeholder meetings and events, taking minutes and arranging follow-up activities
- Detailed understanding of the structure of the legal profession
- Understanding of the legal services environment and/or issues relating to professional practice, risk and regulation
- Must have knowledge of Policy Lifecycle
- Policy Development: must be able interpret, initiate, implement, develop complex data and evaluate the policies from other regulators, regulated sectors, government and consultancies.
- Understanding of equality and diversity law and policy and related training methodologies
- Collaboration: Ability to develop and maintain working relationships internally and externally with senior stakeholders
- Leadership: Ability to provide motivation and support and to persuade and inspire others
- Project Management: Ability to manage projects from end to end
- Communication: Ability to communicate complex information clearly (written and verbal).
Experience & Qualifications:
- Experience of implementing and managing policy development in a regulatory or similar field
- Experience of developing complex policy in a regulatory or other challenging environment
Please apply via the button below. For a chat about the role, please reach out to Dom Szczecinski in the Inclusive Recruiting team. Call 0203 397 8333 or email email@example.com.