Learn about understanding users and their needs, working with organisations to solve problems and make public sector technology really work for people.
The academy is a 12-week training programme where we teach people with little or no experience of design and research in digital to be effective members of a team. Paid from Day 1, you will then join one of our client projects once graduating the academy,
Who we are looking for
We want to hear from people who are keen to learn, collaborate and solve problems.
This isn’t for people with prior professional or academic experience in design and research – we’re just looking for people with enthusiasm for starting a career in design or user research.
Between £22,500 – £25,000 depending on your location
What you will learn
We’ll cover the basics of content design, interaction design, service design and user research.
- By the end of the 12 weeks, we’ll support you to:
- Be an effective member of a digital team, as a designer or researcher, at the end of 12 weeks.
- Work to an associate level (SFIA level 1) user researcher, interaction designer, service design or content designer.
- Understand and use the soft skills needed to be a designer and researcher on a multidisciplinary, agency team
- Choose and apply the foundation knowledge, skills and tools of user centred design disciplines to client work
- Understand the gaps in their knowledge and skills and how to approach filling them
- Take a critical and nuanced approach to their UCD practice, and help the industry and community grow and improve.
- Progress and be happy in their careers.
- Feel confident in their work and in the workplace.
- Be confident and supported to continue to grow and learn.
What does the rest of the recruitment process involve?
1) The first step is to fill in the application form. This will include some basic information about who you are before asking some questions about your motivations and knowledge of both design and the public sector.
2) If you are progressed to the next stage, we’ll invite you to a 15-minute call with one of our team. We will make sure to share any questions we’ll be asking you in advance. This will happen throughout July 2022. Please do bear with us as we will be interviewing a large number of candidates.
3) If you pass the call, we’ll invite you along to the final stage which is a remote Academy open day taking place for 3-4 hours. You’ll see how we work and take part in some group exercises with fellow applicants and some of our design team. If you’re successful, we’ll invite you to join our academy and Made Tech! We anticipate these to take place between August 8th-August 12th.
4) Get ready to join Made Tech and our Academy on October 3rd!
We want to hear from you, whatever your background or circumstances. Whether this is your first job, a change of direction, or a return to work after some time out.
You don’t need any work experience or education. You’ll learn everything you need to be successful at Made Tech during the academy. As well as all the benefits being an employee with us brings (listed below), you will also be given a laptop ahead of your first day to use during your time at Made Tech.
Important note: We are not looking for people with direct experience (in a role or degree) in design and/or user research. This is because most of our curriculum would be a duplication of what you already know.
If that is you, we would recommend that you wait to apply to one of our Junior roles when they become available.
Unsure if that’s you? If in doubt, we’d recommend you contact us directly or apply and we will let you know.
Who we’re looking for:
- People who care about and are interested in design and research in the public sector
- People who work well in an inclusive, collaborative environment
We welcome applications from people from under-represented backgrounds.
If you are interested in applying but would like some reasonable adjustments to support you during the recruitment process, please do let us know either by emailing us or when submitting your application.
Beyond the learning and career benefits of joining our Academy, you’ll be joining the Made Tech organisation. We are always listening to our growing teams and evolving the benefits available to our people. As we scale, as do our benefits and we are scaling quickly. We’ve recently introduced a flexible benefit platform which includes a Smart Tech scheme, Cycle to work scheme, and an individual benefits allowance which you can invest in a Health care cash plan or Pension plan. We’re also big on connection and have an optional social and wellbeing calendar of events for all employees to join should they choose to.
Here are some of our most popular benefits listed below:
More information can be found here
Applications close 9am Thursday 14th July.
- Salary Offer £22,500 - £25,000
- Experience 0 - 2 Years