BMCE Bank International plc (BBI) is the wholly owned UK Corporate Bank subsidiary of BMCE Bank Group, the 2nd largest privately held bank in Morocco. Headquartered in London, and a branch office in Paris and Dubai, and a representative office in Zurich, BBI is a specialist institution linking international finance with the growing opportunities in Africa. BMCE has identified an approach to do business on the continent that creates substantial and long-term opportunities, both for clients as well as for a wider range of stakeholders.
- To work within a small legal department providing legal advice and assistance to mainly the Bank’s front office functions covering project finance and loans. Assistance in other areas and in relation to other offices as required.
- Draft, review and negotiate legal documentation for emerging market transactions (focussing mainly on Africa) such as term sheets, mandate letters, loan agreements, security documentation, project documents, legal opinions, insurance and advise on transaction structure.
- Management of transactions from outset to completion.
- Provide business focused, high quality and proactive legal advice on a range of commercially complex, challenging and varied legal issues arising from the business needs.
- Liaise with external counsel as required.
- Advise and assist with the Bank’s affairs as a corporate entity as required.
- Advise and liaise with other departments within the Bank on matters that involve legal aspects as required.
- Contribute to the department’s know-how.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Qualified in England and Wales and/or France with at least PQE 4 years.
- Solid training and experience in a reputable private practice with in-house banking experience being a plus.
- Excellent transactional experience in emerging markets focussing on (i) project finance and (ii) loans (bilateral, club and syndicated arrangements in the corporate, financial institutions and sovereign space) and structured finance.
- Excellent knowledge of LMA documentation.
- Knowledge of commodity trade and/or trade finance (including export credit finance) is a plus.
- Good knowledge of general banking laws and compliance/regulatory knowledge/awareness.
- Fluent in or good working knowledge of French
Skills and Abilities:
- Fluency in written and spoken French is essential
- Solid commercial understanding, an analytical and proactive approach
- Ability to convert ideas into practical solutions and solve complex legal problems
- Excellent drafting, negotiation, communication, cooperation and organisation skills with a structured approach but open to change
- Ability to take initiative and to work in a team and/or autonomously
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills and the ability to communicate with internal and external stakeholders of varying seniority
- Exceptional and meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work pro-actively, effectively multi-task and deliver high standard work to tight deadlines
- Excellent team and client management skills
- Strong MS Office skills are essential (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Character and Personal Qualities:
- Professional, articulate, and polished
- Excellent team-player
- Reliable and flexible
- Confident and independent thinker
- Willingness to “learn on the job” and ability to “hit the ground running”
- Robust and resilient with a “can do” approach
- Ability to thrive in a busy “emerging “ multi-cultural working environment
To apply for this role, please submit your CV via the button below. If you would like to discuss anything about the role, feel free to give Jason Burgess a call on 0203 397 8333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Salary Offer up to £100,000 pa