FTC 6 months, starting in October 2021
35 hours per week
circa £55k pro rata
Our client, the London Marathon Charitable Trust (The Trust) is an independent grant-making charity and is the sole shareholder of its trading subsidiary, London Marathon Events Ltd (LME). Together the two organisations (the Group) share a vision of Inspiring Activity and work to tackle barriers to activity in all ages and demographics across the UK. LME is the world-leading events company which organises mass participation events every year including the London Marathon, the world’s greatest marathon and the biggest one-day annual fundraising event on the planet. LME has grown into a £38 million business and each year passes it surplus to The Trust through corporate Gift Aid.
The Trust, currently in its 40th Anniversary year, funds initiatives that enable people to become and remain physically active, regardless of age, gender, ability, race or background. It has awarded grants totalling more than £90 million to more than 1,500 projects across the UK, making it one of the UK’s major charitable funders of initiatives to encourage people to be active.
Following a major governance review at the Group, we are recruiting for an experienced Interim Head of Governance to work with both organisations to continue work on implementing the recommendations of the governance review. The Interim Head of Governance should understand the requirements of a charity with a trading subsidiary and must also ensure that the practicalities of Board, Directors’ and sub-committee meetings, agendas, papers, minutes and action planning and delivery, and all other associated governance tasks, are delivered to the highest standards.
The person appointed will report to and be managed by the Executive Director of The Trust, and work closely with the Chairs of both Boards, and with the Chief Executive and Management Board of LME. In addition to ensuring fulfilment of legal and regulatory obligations, they will be responsible for delivering best practice in governance for both organisations. They will line-manage a full-time Governance Manager and will be responsible for the smooth, effective and successful running of the Governance Team and all of its outputs.
This is a significant opportunity to help embed the governance health and good practice of this remarkable organisation for the future.
This is a fixed term contract for six months starting in October 2021, working 35 hours per week, at an annual equivalent salary of c.£55k.
What we are looking for
As Interim Head of Governance, you will need to have:
- Substantive experience and expertise in either charity or company governance and law, preferably both;
- The ability to manage conflicts of interest inherent in advising two legal entities;
- A keen interest in governance trends, regulation, and best practices, and an ability to horizon-scan and advise on policy issues;
- Excellent communication skills and the confidence to give sound practical advice to a range of stakeholders internally and externally on running an effective, transparent organisation;
- Proven first-rate management skills, line-management experience, and experience of working within fast-paced teams;
- Excellent minute-taking and documentation skills with attention to detail;
- The ability to prioritise and to work to their own initiative;
- A proactive, positive attitude and a flexible, solutions-focused approach;
- The ability to build effective working relationships.
What we offer to our employees
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- 8% employer contribution into the pension scheme
- Private medical care
- Wellbeing allowance
- Flexible working to take account of individual’s needs
Recognised as one of the UK’s Best Medium Workplaces and a top 20 Best Workplace for Women by Great Place to Work, we’re working hard to ensure we’re a truly inclusive place to work.
This means we don’t just look at your CV. We’re more focused on who you are and the potential added value you’ll bring.
We strongly value diversity within our workforce, and recognise that different people bring different perspectives, lived experience, ideas and culture to the company. This difference brings with it great strengths, including diversity of thought and innovation.
We also know that everyone has a life outside work, so we’re open to discussing flexible working options, provided we can balance your needs with those of our work. We’ll do everything we can to support you during your application. If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process to accommodate your needs, feel free to let us know and we will be happy to support you.
Please apply via the button below. To discuss further, you can call the Inclusive Recruiting recruitment team on 0203 397 8333.
- Salary Offer circa £55k pro rata (35 hours/week)