DEPUTY MANAGER – NORTH PADDINGTON FOODBANK
Please contact us on Apply@inclusiverecruiting.co.uk
Salary circa £30,000 pro rata (depending on experience)
Start date ASAP.
Full time, London based.
North Paddington Foodbank is an evolving dynamic charity providing emergency food to local people experiencing temporary food crises. Our mission is to draw on the strengths of the local community, provide an accessible service to meet the immediate needs of the local people, enabling them to find their route out of food poverty. North Paddington Foodbank has been set up to help address ‘hidden hunger’ and issues about the lack of food which affects ‘thousands of people in crises across the UK’ with a particular emphasis to support the people in North Paddington. The organisers of the North Paddington Foodbank share in the vision of ‘creating a nation where no-one has to go hungry’ and join the collective effort to make London a Zero Hunger City.
We have an immediate need for a Temporary Deputy Manager who will be responsible for leading a team of about 12 staff and ensuring the effective, smooth running of the Foodbank. You will lead the team to enable access to, and the delivery of, emergency food to members of the local community experiencing emergency food poverty. Your primary goal is to provide strong leadership to the team to support people in crisis in a compassionate manner with the provision of emergency food and associated support. The role will also involve the promotion of our work to faith groups, schools, local organisations, and supporters. You will have a wide range of responsibilities which include, leading a team of employees and volunteers, promoting the vision and values of the charity, ensuring effective processes and systems, and maintaining and increasing standards of customer service to beneficiaries.
Main Duties of the role:
- Day to day team management of staff and volunteer team.
- Manage increased service delivery levels.
- Facilitate smooth running of Foodbank sessions.
- Ensuring there is always adequate stock for clients.
- Lead on safeguarding and risk with regards clients and staff.
- Ensure all clients are treated with respect, empathy and in confidence.
- Responsible for ensuring adequate and effective levels of staffing.
- Recruiting and training new staff and volunteers on an ongoing basis
- Supporting professional development of the team and assessing competency and capacity of staff and volunteers on an ongoing basis
- Monitor finances of the foodbank and share updates when needed.
- Foster relationships with local community groups, churches, schools, the local authority, corporate organisations, current and prospective supporters, food suppliers etc
Leadership and Internal Engagement
- Promoting the company values and culture, bringing them to life. Leading by example, securing buy in, trust, motivation, and commitment from employees
- Ensuring consistent and regular communication with your line manager and the Trustee Board in terms of updates, feedback, and accountability
- Adherence to policies, procedures and an awareness and some understanding of charity regulations, professional practice, and EDI
- Maintaining positive staff experiences and supporting staff wellbeing with events and promotion of other benefits
- Providing support and feedback during regular 1:1 line management supervision for staff
- Working with the staff to understand their strengths, desires, ambitions as well as their challenges and frustrations and areas for development.
- Looking at initiatives to align staff to work towards common goals with an understanding of how their decisions and actions have an impact on others.
- Inspiring, motivating and supporting the team to deliver high quality work, work as an effective team and meet organisational goals and individual objectives.
- Creating 2-way channels of communication that allow staff to share their ideas and suggestions for improvement.
- Lead induction and onboarding of new staff and volunteers, monitor performance and, liaise regularly with new staff providing training and support.
- Assisting the volunteer co-ordinator with the management and support of the volunteer team
- Establishing KPI’s for individuals and teams to work towards in line with the communication strategy and overall delivery plan, gaining buy in and commitment from all team members during 1:1s.
- Leading on all employee and HR matters with support from HR
- Assist with regular communication with key stakeholders e.g., Westminster Council, Community groups and organisations (e.g., schools, churches etc)
- Providing output and outcome stats, feedback and case-studies re service delivery and operations for both promotional and monitoring purposes.
- Attendance at operations meetings, trustee, and line manager meetings
- Provide regular update reports, both written and verbal to the Head of Foodbank and Trustees
- Lead regular team briefings and meetings.
- Conduct monthly 1:1 supervision session with staff.
- Liaise with media as requested.
Cultivating external relationships
- Develop and effectively manage partnerships with food suppliers, local authorities, corporate organisations, churches mosques and other religious organisations, schools, community groups, projects, and networks to support the continued development of the charity.
- Oversee and delegate effective use of Social Media and networking platforms, i.e., Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook to promote and benefit the Charity.
What we need from you:
Knowledge, Skills and Experience (essential):
- Proven, demonstrable experience of managing and leading a team of 12 or more employees and plus 30 + regular volunteers in a fast-paced environment.
- A great communicator, with demonstrable evidence of the ability to engage with people from diverse backgrounds and at various levels including beneficiaries, staff, trustees, heads of organisations, funders etc.
- Strong leadership, influencing, and negotiation skills.
- Experience of leading a team through a period of turbulent change and growth.
- Demonstrable commitment to empowering and encouraging service users.
- Able to cope with the physical and emotional demands of the role.
- Good IT skills, with a working knowledge of MS Office applications
- Strong organisational skills including creating and improving systems.
- A passion for promoting the values of EDI.
NB: possession of a current, clean driver’s license is desirable.
The list of duties is not exhaustive, and the Charity reserves the right to amend the list of duties as the Charity and job role evolves.
This post will require a DBS check to be undertaken. Having a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify you from acquiring the post.
To apply for this job, please email your CV to Apply@inclusiverecruiting.co.uk.
Or speak to one of our friendly team to discuss the role in more detail on 0203 397 8333.
- Salary Offer up to £30,000 pro rata
- Send CVs to: firstname.lastname@example.org