Salary: £60,000 per annum
Location: Hybrid – Remote with 3 days in the York office required every 2 weeks
Hiscox like to do things differently and constantly seek to evolve. They might have been around for a long time (their roots go back to 1901), but they are young in many ways, ambitious and going places.
Some people might say insurance is dull, but life at Hiscox is anything but.
Hiscox Group Technology comprises a Corporate Centre team and five business-aligned Technology teams partnering with our federated businesses. Our retail technology teams partner with the UK, Europe and US business units. Our ‘big ticket’ technology teams partner with the London Market and Re & ILS businesses. Corporate Centre consists of Group & Enterprise Services, IT Services and Information Security. Each team is led by a Technology Director who reports in to the CIO. Collectively the goal of the Technology organisation is to put Technology at the heart of the business.
About the role
Within Hiscox Group technology we are seeking a talented data modeller to assist with the design and implementation of a number of Group data warehouses. As a Data Modeller, you will be working closely with data architects and data analysts to implement data modelling solutions in order to streamline and support enterprise information management.
To ensure success as a data modeller, you should have in-depth knowledge of data warehousing, as well as expert communication skills. Ultimately, you should be able to design models that reduce data redundancy, streamline data movements, and improve enterprise information management.
- Understand and translate business needs into data models supporting long-term solutions.
- Work with the Application Development team to implement data strategies, build data flows and develop conceptual data models.
- Create logical and physical data models using best practices to ensure high data quality and reduced redundancy.
- Optimize and update logical and physical data models to support new and existing projects.
- Maintain conceptual, logical and physical data models along with corresponding metadata.
- Develop best practices for standard naming conventions and coding practices to ensure consistency of data models.
- Recommend opportunities for reuse of data models in new environments.
- Perform reverse engineering of physical data models from databases and SQL scripts.
- Evaluate data models and physical databases for variances and discrepancies.
- Validate business data objects for accuracy and completeness.
- Analyse data-related system integration challenges and propose appropriate solutions.
- Develop data models according to company standards.
- Guide System Analysts, Engineers, Programmers and others on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements and interfaces.
- Review modifications to existing software to improve efficiency and performance.
- Examine new application design and recommend corrections if required.
- Liaise with Data Governance to ensure reference data is as expected – common values across the company / unique values – adequately defined etc.
- Liaise with Data Architects if promoting a new modelling concept
- 3 years of hands-on experience with physical and relational data modelling
- Expert knowledge of metadata management and related tools
- Knowledge of mathematical foundations and statistical analysis
- Able to data model in Third Normal Form and Dimensional mode dependent on the type of model / requirements
- Ensure data integrity within the models – highlight where there are issues to stakeholders
- Work with the end user / BA to understand data requirements and be able to suggest how the data should be designed to meet the requirements
- Maintain data models in the Hiscox modelling tool and adequately document them and keep them up to date
- Carry out data profiling to (1) understand the data at hand, (2) test data constructs that have been devised
- Have a level of understanding of the source system that is providing the data into the data warehouse
- Work with / support the developers / testers during any database development and to be a point of contact for any data issues / clarifications
- Pick up any end user data queries in the first instance and use knowledge and data modelling documentation to answer them (if possible)
- Adhere to modelling standards.
- Exposure to the full project life cycle, from inception to BAU handover
- Good experience of using Jira, Confluence, MS Teams or similar collaboration tools
- Visio (or other modelling software) skills
- Experience with maintainable, extensible, high performance data warehouse application architectures
- Experience of data/system integration and a strong ability to identify dependencies
- Confident operating within an agile development processes
- Understanding and passion for data quality
- Exposure to large scale projects/programmes and working in a matrix environment with 3rd party suppliers
- Hold relevant industry qualifications
- Intellect and gravitas to influence and gain credibility with stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Creative, proactive, logical and innovative – you do not accept the status quo
- Highly results driven, with the energy and determination to succeed in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrate a commitment to quality, service and personal ownership
- Deal well with ambiguity and enable a consensus to be reached
- Advanced troubleshooting skills.
- An inquisitive mind-set and desire to understand both data and business requirements
- Continuous self-improvement and learning
At Hiscox we care about our people. We hire the best people for the job and we’re committed to diversity and creating a truly inclusive culture, which we believe drives success. We have also learned over the past 15 months that working life doesn’t always have to be in the office, and when it’s safe to do so, we will be introducing hybrid ways of working to encourage a healthy work life balance.
We anticipate the successful candidate for this role will be in the office 3 days every 2 weeks.
We see it as the best of both worlds: structure and sociability on one hand, and independence and flexibility on the other.
Apply via the link below. To discuss further, you can reach out directly to Izzy Ratkoceri in the Inclusive Recruiting recruitment team. Email email@example.com or call 0203 397 8333.
- Salary Offer £60,000 per annum